Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is a modern-day New-England style IPA beer produced by the New Belgium Brewing Company in Fort Collins, Colorado. Continue reading our Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA Review, we’ll explore this bold, intense, and great-tasting craft beer that is full of hop flavors and aromas.
The intensity and bitterness of hops are expertly balanced with sweet fruity tastes and aromas. Upfront, you get rich notes of pineapple, juicy melon, lemon, and citrus zest. A mild hop bitterness, with soft undertones of earthy onion and fresh pine, is followed by a refreshing, thirst-quenching, and satisfying finish.
Pros and Cons of Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA
- World-Class Craft beer
- High levels of hop aromas and tastes
- Upfront, you get lovely tastes and aromas of pineapple, juicy melon, lemon, and citrus zest
- Followed by soft undertones of earthy onion, fresh pine, and a mild hop bitterness
- The finish is refreshing, thirst-quenching, and satisfying
- Reasonably priced when compared to other craft beers
- Bitterness levels are low when compared to traditional IPA-style beer.
What Does Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA Taste Like?
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is an outstanding craft beer with intense and bold hop flavors and aromas. To achieve these quality flavors and aromas, there are seven different types of premium hops used to make this unique and rewarding IPA.
Upfront, you get lovely tastes and aromas of sweet pineapple, juicy melon, lemon, and citrus zest. These lovely notes are followed by a mild hop bitterness with soft undertones of earthy onion and fresh pine. The finish on this IPA is refreshing, thirst-quenching, rewarding, and keeps you wanting more.
What Does It Look Like?
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is a great-looking beer with a beautiful pale golden color, medium to high carbonation, and a solid thick creamy head. As the name suggests, it is hazy and cloudy. This is a result of dry-hopping and is referred to as colloidal haze.
What is an IPA-Style Beer?
Traditional IPA (Indian Pale Ale) originated in South London, Britain, in 1752. Sailors who were preparing for long ocean voyagers would put massive amounts of hops into their beer before departure. Aware that hops are ideally suited for preserving beer, this was the most effective way to prevent their beloved brew from spoiling for extended periods.
The result was a Pale Ale with little to no fruit flavors or aromas. These tastes and aromas that are typical in Pale Ale and Ale beer were replaced by bold and intense hop flavors, aromas, and bitterness with a significantly increased ABV.
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Hazy IPA is made from an array of premium all-natural ingredients.
Yeast is often referred to as the soul of the beer and is responsible for triggering and maintaining the entire fermentation process. The head brewer at The New Belgium Brewing Company insisted that the American Hefeweizen yeast strain would be used to produce Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA. Hefeweizen directly translates to Wheat Yeast in German and is believed to have originated in the south of Germany in the 1950s.
Quality water is crucial in developing a world-class beer. The new Belgium Brewery company erected an on-site wastewater treatment plant using Evoqua’s ADI Treatment System. The ADI anaerobic membrane bioreactor system effectively purifies wastewater resulting in soft water with high levels of purity.
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is all about big hop aromas and flavor and uses a rare combination of hops in the brewing process:
- Citra: The lovely Citra hop is highly sought after for its taste and aromatic qualities. It is a high alpha acid hop and therefore doesn’t possess great bittering qualities. The Citra hop offers rich, smooth tastes and aromas of floral and citrus. The dominating flavors are lychee, passion fruit, citrus, peach, melon, gooseberry, and grapefruit.
- Strata: Strata hop is another example of a high alpha acid hop with excellent flavor and aromatic qualities. Not used as a bittering hop, it offers tropical sweet aromas and flavors of passion fruit, strawberries, mango, and melon. There are additional soft undertones of grapefruit and citrus zest.
- Mosaic: Of all the hops used to make Voodoo Ranger Juicy Hazy IPA, Mosaic hops have the most complex profile. The dominant aroma is fresh berries and blueberry; in particular, additional soft aromas include spice, mango, tropical fruits, stone fruit with delicate undertones of earthy pine and grass. Mosaic is a high alpha acid hop and doesn’t offer much in terms of bittering qualities.
- HBC 522: HBC 522 hops offers delicate flavors of floral and citrus. They offer a similar profile to the legendary Centennial and Cascade hops with a hint of mango and earthy pine. These hops are of a high-yielding variety; they are intense and bright and fast becoming popular on the commercial beer scene.
- Chinook: Chinook hops also fall into the high alpha acid category and is prized for their aromatic properties. Earthy and spicy aromas of pine and grass are complemented by aromas of rich, juicy grapefruit and citrus zest. The Chinook hop is a result of a cross between a USDA male and the Petham Golding hop.
- Cascade: Cascades hops are among the most famous and revered hops in the world. They are commonly used in American craft beers and offer flavors of floral, citrus, and pine. Cascade hops are versatile and contain moderate levels of alpha acid; they offer brewers aromas, flavors, and medium levels of hop bitterness.
- Amarillo: Amarillo hops are relatively new hops and can be described as a Cascade hop on steroids. They offer lovely aromas and tastes of tropical fruits and citrus zest, with light sweet floral notes. Although Amarillo hops are bold and intense, they are also forgiving. Therefore they are becoming extremely popular with home-brewers and microbreweries all over the world.
- Pale: Pale Malt is patiently dried at low temperatures to preserve the highly prized enzymes in the grain. It is light in color, and due to mass beer production, it is now the most affordable type of barley malt on the market. Pale malt is the basis of Pale Ale and the primary ingredient in most British beer malts.
- Pilsner: Pilsner Malt offers delectable flavors of sweet honey and rich malt and also greatly contributes to the color of the beer. Pilsner Malt is also referred to as Weyermann Pilsner Malt, and it is a German Lager base malt that is produced from the finest two-row spring barley in Germany.
- Honey: Honey Malt offers intense and bold malty sweetness and is commonly used in specialty beers. It offers a touch of tartness combined with rich flavors of natural grains, pretzels, freshly baked bread, and honey. In Europe, Honey malt is often referred to as “Bruhmalz.”
The Brewing Process
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is a modern-day Indian Pale Ale; as is the case with all Ales, Pale Ales, and IPAs, the brew is produced using the top-fermentation technique. It allows specialty top-fermenting yeast strains to operate at the top of the wort. The optimum operating temperatures for this type of yeast strain are slightly warmer than that of bottom-fermenting yeast strains.
The perfect brewing temperature is between 13 and 21 degrees C (55-70 degrees F). There are certain types of yeast strains that don’t operate under 18 degrees C (65 degrees F), so for novice or beginner home-brewers, it is best to keep your Ale or Pale Ale brews fermenting at temperatures of between 18 and 21 degrees C (65-70 degrees F).
Top Fermenting yeast strains allow for rich, fruity tastes and aromas that you typically don’t find in Pilsner and Lager-style beers. The warmer temperatures encourage the yeast to work more vigorously, creating carbon dioxide at an accelerated rate. This is the reason Ale and Pale Ales feature large heads and high levels of carbonation. Additionally, operating at the top of the wort allows the precious yeast to be easily collected to be used in future brews.
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze ABV (Alcohol by Volume)
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Hazy IPA offers an ABV of 7.5%. This is an average ABV when compared to other IPA-style beers. “Sink the Bismark” from the BrewDog Brewing company holds the record for the strongest IPA beer, offering a staggering 41% per 37.5cl serving.
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is presented in brown 12oz glass bottles and 19.2oz cans. The glass bottle is slender, with a long neck and a crown cap to lock in the freshness. The glass bottles are available in a sturdy six-pack option; it is well-branded, studied, and offers a comfortable and convenient handle. The cans are available in twelve-pack options and are sealed in a well-branded cardboard box for easy transport and storage.
Each bottle, can, and carry-pack displays a colorful and graphic Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA label. It certainly catches your eye and gives you some insight into the minds of these expert brewers.
The Voodoo Ranger label features a skeleton that is appropriately dressed for a long days’ work. The background is white with black framing; the font is black and golden with bright colors on the Rangers uniform. This is one of the most colorful and interesting beer logos and a nice change from the bland and formal logos of traditional beers.
Where Can You Purchase Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA?
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is well-distributed and available throughout the US. It can be purchased from select gas stations and convenience stores. Voodoo Ranger Juicy Hazy IPA can also be purchased from Walmart and Tesco, from the supermarkets, and online.
There are regional and national distributors such as the Henry Wine Group and Empire Merchants. This outstanding IPA can also be purchased online from companies like Drizly, Uptown Spirits, and Sipwhiskey.com.
About the Brewery
The New Belgium Brewery was founded in 1991 by Jeff Lebesch and Kim Jordan. The brewery was opened in Fort Collins, Colorado, and experienced its first expansion to Asheville, North Carolina, in 2016. A vast increase in sales resulted in a second expansion into Denver, Colorado, in 2018.
The New Belgium Brewing Company was one of the commercial craft beer pioneers and has become famous for quality beverages such as Voodoo Ranger IPA, Fat Tire Belgium-style Ale, Dayblazer Easygoing Ale, and Citradelic Exotic lime Ale.
In 2015, the company recorded sales of $245 million with an estimated output of just under 1 million US barrels. In 2019, Lion Little World Beverages (an Australian subsidiary of the Japanese Kirin Beverage Group) acquired the New Belgium Brewing Company for an estimated $350-$400 million.
Additional New Belgium Brewing Company Products
The New Belgium Brewing Company produces and sells fourteen year-round beers. Below are five of their most popular:
Originating in the 1930s, Fat Tire Belgium Style Ale was created to be an easy-drinking craft beer to service thirsty British troops. To do this, the brewer included Belgian yeast into the recipe. Upfront, you get tastes and aromas of fruity yeast, sweet malt, and fresh hops. The finish is smooth and rewarding. Fat Tire Belgium Style Ale appeals to all beer lovers and offers an ABV of 5.2%.
Fat tire Belgium White is the first addition to the Fat Tire brand in 26 years. It is an unfiltered wheat ale, light-bodied, with interesting tastes of freshly ground coriander and bold Seville orange zest. Fat Tire Belgium White offers a finish that is smooth and refreshing and has an ABV of 5.2%.
This another fantastic IPA that has been loaded with massive amounts of hops. The taste is less complex than that of the Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA, but the simplicity works. Upfront, you get delicate aromas and tastes of rich malt and passion fruit that are followed by a dry, smooth, and thirst-quenching finish. Voodoo Ranger American Haze is well-balanced and offers a below-average ABV of 5.0%.
This hazy imperial IPA is perfectly balanced with tastes and aromas of sweet tropical fruits and a hint of rich malt. The middle offers sweetness and medium levels of bitterness. The finish is exceptionally smooth and rewarding. Voodoo Ranger Higher Plane is a fantastic IPA and offers an ABV of 7.5%.
New Belgium Sour IPA is an innovative beer with a unique brewing process. Once the initial brew is complete and fermentation, dry-hopping and stabilization are halfway; the brewer adds 25% Foeder-Aged Golden Sour into the brew. The golden sour enhances the fruitiness and hops flavors. It is fully flavored and well-balanced with an ABV of 7.0%.
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA Alternatives
Below are four quality alternatives to Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA:
This imperial IPA is produced by the Kern River Brewing Company in Kernville. Upfront, you encounter rich and complex flavors and aromas of malt and tropical fruits. This hop dominant IPA uses large amounts of Citra hops which offer low levels of bitterness with high levels of tastes and aromas. Kern River Citra Double IPA offers a finish that is dry, smooth, and rewarding with an ABV of 8.1%.
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA is produced by the Port Brewing Company in San Marcos, California. Upfront, you encounter aromas and flavors of citrus zest, fresh hops with a hint of fresh clove, followed by a finish that is smooth, dry, and satisfying. Port Brewing Wipeout IPA offers low levels of bitterness and an ABV of 7.0%.
This is an excellent IPA and one that all beer lovers should try. It has been expertly brewed with Vienna and Pilsner malts, American Ale yeast, and three types of premium hops. Interboro Premiere IPA offers aromas of hops, citrus, and tropical fruits, which are elegantly complemented by tastes of melon, pineapple, and bubble gum. There are low levels of bitterness, and the finish is long and smooth. Interboro Premiere IPA pours hazy yellow and offers an ABV of 6%.
This is a laid-back, easy-drinking IPA produced by the Burial Brewing Company in Asheville, North Carolina. Upfront, you get aromas of natural grains and sweet caramel with tastes of fresh pine and stone fruit. Low levels of bitterness are followed by a super smooth and refreshing finish. Burial Surf Wax IPA is a great IPA and offers an ABV of 6.8%.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: What Does Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA taste like?
Answer: Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is a great tasting New-England style Pale Ale. As is the case with all IPA’s, there are massive amounts of hops yet well-balanced by sweetness from rich, fruity tastes and aromas. This outstanding light-bodied IPA offers wonderful notes of pineapple, juicy melon, and lemon zest. Additional soft undertones of earthy onion and pine are followed by a thirst-quenching and refreshing finish.
Question: What is the Difference Between a Hazy IPA and a Juicy IPA?
Answer: When beer aficionados refer to the term “juicy” in an IPA, we are referring only to the taste and aroma of the beer. An IPA can be crystal clear in appearance but still be considered a juicy IPA. When we refer to the term “hazy,” we are describing the appearance of the beer. Quite simply, a hazy IPA offers a hazy appearance. Not all juicy IPAs are hazy, and not all Hazy IPAs are juicy.
Question: What Causes a Hazy IPA to Become Hazy?
Answer: The haziness in a hazy IPA is a result of colloidal haze, which occurs in the dry-hopping stage of the brewing process. Dry-hopping is a process whereby additional hops are added to the brew once the yeast has effectively taken care of the fermentation. A brew is dry-hopped to greatly enhance the aroma of the beer, but it also leaves tiny hop particles suspended in the beer, which effectively creates the haze in a hazy IPA.
Question: How Many Calories are There in Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA?
Answer: Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is made from premium all-natural ingredients; if you disregard the above-average ABV, it is one of the healthiest craft beers on the market. Each 12oz serving contains 0 calories and 0 grams of fat.
Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA is an excellent craft beer with bold and intense hop flavors and aromas. This hop-dominant beer offers lovely notes of pineapple, citrus zest, lemon, and juicy melon. A mild hop bitterness with soft undertones of earthy onion and fresh pine is followed by a thirst-quenching, refreshing and rewarding finish.
This is an excellent craft beer, and I recommend that all beer lovers give it a try should they get the chance. If you enjoy hop-dominant beers that are full of flavor, then this is a great choice for you. I also really enjoy the average ABV of 5.0% as this allows us light-weights to enjoy a few cold ones before falling asleep on the couch.
I enjoy drinking Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA when I am at the pub with my mates and when watching sports on the weekend.